MHU – Psychiatric Technician
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Psychiatric Technician is responsible for supervising residents during scheduled shifts and provides individual support (i.e. life skills) for assigned residents. All work is performed in accordance with state regulations, CMS Policies and Procedures and professional mental health standards.
BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF JOB
- Completes Personal Data Summary on assigned residents.
- Interacts with residents on a daily basis. This involves weekly meetings to teach residents life skills, such as shopping, clean-up of room, grooming and personal care.
- Assists residents in learning to use community resources, public transportation when needed and accompanies them to appointments when necessary.
- Is responsible for timely record keeping on assigned clients.
- Facilitates interaction and socialization among the residents.
- Provides crisis intervention when necessary.
- Functions as a client advocate.
- Is responsible for the security of the residents and for the care of the building and property during assigned shifts.
- Attends departmental staff meetings and in-service training sessions.
- Performs other duties as assigned by Supervisor.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
Prefer a Bachelor’s Degree in one of the social sciences and one year of mental health experience.
One to two years of college, and/or experience providing services to the mentally disabled.
High School Diploma (or equivalency) Plus twelve (12) semester credit hours from an approved educational program and two years direct care experience.
Excellent communication skills, a high degree of maturity and willingness to work with the chronically mentally ill and a valid PA. Driver’s License.
WORK AUTHORIZATION/SECURITY CLEARANCE (IF APPLICABLE)
Must have an acceptable PA criminal history, FBI clearance and Child Abuse clearance done prior to hire.
This job operates out of the CMS Mental Health Unit at 2401 Penrose Avenue.
POSITION TYPE/EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK
Days and hours for this position may vary, multiple shifts 8am-4pm, 4pm-12am, 12am-8am.
Must have physical ability to: A) Frequently climb stairs; B) Stand and sit for prolonged periods of time; C) Carry heavy items; D) Bend, kneel and reach; E) Passively restrain individuals in emergency situations
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CMS Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, CMS Inc. complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. CMS Inc. expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of CMS’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT
Applicants as well as employees who are or become disabled must be able to perform the essential job functions either unaided or with reasonable accommodation. The organization shall determine reasonable accommodation on a case-by-case basis in accordance with applicable law.