U.S. News & World Report is a multifaceted digital media company dedicated to helping citizens, consumers, business leaders and policy officials make important decisions in their lives. We publish independent reporting, rankings, data journalism and advice that has earned the trust of our readers and users for nearly 90 years. Our platforms on usnews.com include Education, Health, Money, Travel, Cars, News and 360 Reviews.
We reach more than 40 million people monthly during moments when they are most in need of expert advice and motivated to act on that advice directly on our platforms. Our signature franchises include our “Best” series of consumer guides on colleges, graduate schools, hospitals, diets, cars, financial services and more. These guides provide an easy-to-digest list for consumers to better understand and compare when making their decisions. We continue to publish annual guides of the authoritative Best Colleges and Best Hospitals rankings on our website and in print. And our U.S. News Live flagship conferences highlight important national conversations including Healthcare of Tomorrow and Healthiest Communities.
In this position, you will use your editing and writing skills to guide readers in every stage of their career, including job searching, interviewing, evaluating company benefits and succeeding in a position.
You’ll be responsible for collaborating with the VP of our Careers vertical to create new “Best of” franchises, which will require data analysis, methodology creation and content packages. In addition, you’ll be writing stories and other content based on our existing annual Best Jobs rankings. The job includes reporting on trending career topics and using your expertise and journalistic judgment combined with search engine optimization best practices to assign, shape, edit and produce compelling careers stories from contributors.
Are you up to the challenge?
- You should be a nimble writer and editor who is skilled at handling multiple short-term and longer-term assignments while meeting simultaneous writing and editing deadlines
- You should be a self-starter who thrives working with an enthusiastic, collaborative team in a fast-paced digital environment
- You should have a passion for and strong knowledge of careers, workplace and employment issues
- Three years of professional writing or editing experience at a media company
- Experience writing and editing for a consumer audience
- Experience working with and editing freelancers
- Strong research, reporting and writing skills
- Experience working in a content management system
- Solid understanding of SEO best practices
- Expertise using AP style
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work in a collaborative team environment
- Journalism or related degree or equivalent experience
- Experience covering careers or personal finance
- Experience participating in on-camera media interviews
- Experience analyzing data and incorporating data into stories
- Experience using traffic analytics tools
- Experience building newsletters
- Familiarity with SEMRush and Google Analytics
- A network of freelance contacts and experience onboarding freelancers